1. Flight vs. Drive:
- Winner: It depends…
Flight: Flying always seems more expensive. Sometimes you HAVE to fly due to length of stay and distance of destination, but sometimes, it may end up being less than the price of gas for your car for the same distance. For example, short flights (8 hours or less) tend to be less expensive than driving your car and buying gas along the way.
Drive: If you’re piling a group of friends or a family into a vehicle to drive to a vacation for a week, driving is typically cheaper. Plus, a road trip with fam or friends is a great way to make memories and catch up!
2. Events/Activities vs. Window Shopping
- Winner: Events/Activities – In my opinion, spending a little extra on events/activities while on a trip is well worth it. You’ll end up seeing and experiencing your travel destination. Plan ahead and decide how much you want to budget (aka “save up for”) toward activities/events. Events don’t always have to cost money! Go on a hike or walk through nature or a fancy part of town!
3. Nice hotel vs. crappy hotel
- Winner: Nice Hotel – If you spend a little bit extra on your hotel:
- You may be closer to city attractions (less taxi/transportation fees)
- Your hotel may offer breakfast (save $5.00-$15.00/day)
4. Small Group vs. Big Group:
Winner: Lots – One would typically think that a trip would be cheapest when fewer people are traveling. In reality, the more people you have going on your trip, the less expensive it will be. The more people you can get to split hotel rooms, meals, and car gas the better.
5. Don’t spend vs. spend!
- Winner: Spend! – Wait, what?! I thought this was a budget blog? Like Brittany and I have said so many times, a budget doesn’t mean you NEVER SPEND MONEY. It means you save up (aka budget) the amount of money you want to spend while you’re ON your trip…not just travel expenses. Wherever you’re going, make sure you bring some extra cash to fully experience and enjoy your trip!
I hope this helps you plan a trip this spring or summer without breaking your budget!